- Rachel Burchfield
Kensington Royal Tour: Day 1
I think this is one of the most stunning photos of the Royal Family I’ve ever seen. It actually took my breath away.
William and Kate have arrived in Islamabad, Pakistan. Very few details about their five-day trip (sans kiddos) have been released, citing security concerns. But here is what I do know:
· This is the first visit from a Royal Family member to the country since 2006, when Charles and Camilla visited.
· They arrived in late, just after 9:30 p.m. local time, and were greeted with a red carpet reception.
· Kate stunned in an aqua shalwar kameez, a traditional Pakistani outfit made up of a flared kurti, a long shirt, and trousers. It was designed by Catherine Walker, one of Kate’s favorites – and also a huge favorite of Diana’s. Diana visited Pakistan solo in 1991, and I am betting Kate will draw many fashion parallels with Diana during this trip.
· William and Kate will cover 620 miles over the next four days and will visit Islamabad (where they are now) and Lahore. They’ll also visit rural Pakistan to see how that part of the country is coping with climate change.
· The trip will touch on issues including girls’ education, national security, arts and culture, business, and conservation.
That was all for day one. More to come tomorrow!